Howdy friends! Hope you had a nice week! This week's blog post is going to take a look at a Disney classic... The Little Mermaid! I was just talking with a friend about this movie last night and was reminded of just how much I love it! So let's take it and point it to the gospel!
If you're not familiar with the plot of The Little Mermaid, check out the plot summary here.
(Public Domain)
So upon looking a little deeper at the Little Mermaid, two things really stuck out to me.. the sacrificial love story & Ariel's awe at the "other world". How do these point us back to Jesus? Let's take a closer look and see!
1. Sacrificial Love Story
In the movie, Ariel sees Eric from afar and instantly falls in love with him so she decides to give up her entire life (and her voice) to go after a total stranger because she thought she loved him. The typical Disney plot line ends with them falling in love & getting married and living happily ever after... of course. But anyway! Ariel's sacrificial love can help to remind us of God's love for us. That He gave up everything, His only Son, to save us from death & an eternity in hell.
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16, ESV)
Now that's love. God's love for us is like a cheesy Disney movie on steroids! God didn't just love us at first sight, he loved us before He made us!
“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.” (Jeremiah 1:5, ESV)
No Disney movie has managed that yet! What an amazing love our Father has for us!
2. Awe at the "Other World"
Ariel, as a mermaid, is fascinated by the human world! She is amazed with all their "gadgets & gizmos" and "whoozits & whatzits". She devotes her time to learning more about this other world and tries to gain as much knowledge from whoever she can about this wonderful "other world". This made me think of how, as Christians, we should be so in love with the heavenly world that we just want to learn more about it from reliable sources & gain as much knowledge as we can about our Father and the heavenly world. We can do that simply by reading God's holy word to see what He has to say to His children, praying, or talking with older/wiser Christians to gather as much knowledge as we can!
Our God is truly an amazing God and I challenge you to spend some time in His word this week & just take a look at how amazing He truly is!
Have a blessed week!
Danielle
Is Ariel's love really sacrificial? She is gaining something she could never get or find? The Father's love is sacrificial in that He does not gain anything at all from loving us.
ReplyDeleteYour second point makes me think of C.S. Lewis. "If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." I talk about it specifically more here: http://theredeemedsinner.blogspot.com/2013/12/counting-stars-onerepublic-lets-engage.html
That's a good point Jake! I hadn't really thought of that aspect of it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention :)
ReplyDeleteGreat blog post! It's so true. We can't be satisfied by this world because our hearts desire for something that isn't worldly, it's heavenly. I always love reading your blogs every week by they way :)