For those of you who may not be familiar with the show, here's a quick synopsis of the show according to AMC
"The Walking Dead, based on the comic book series written by Robert Kirkman and published by Image Comics, tells the story of the months and years that follow after a zombie apocalypse. It follows a group of survivors, led by police officer Rick Grimes, who travel in search of a safe and secure home. The comic goes on to explore the challenges of life in a world overrun by zombies who take a toll on the survivors, and sometimes the interpersonal conflicts present a greater danger to their continuing survival than the zombies that roam the country. Over time, the characters are changed by the constant exposure to death and some grow willing to do anything to survive." - Official AMC Publicity Description
So after watching a few seasons and peering through my gospel-centered lenses, I found that this show can point us back to Jesus in so many ways... here are a few:
1. New Life in Christ
In the show, when someone dies, their body is taken over by a mysterious virus and they 'come back to life' as a mindless zombie. They are unable to communicate, have no emotions, and are only on a mission to consume flesh of any kind. As I was thinking about this more and more, I realized that when these humans are reborn as zombies, it is similar to our rebirth in Christ. Think about it... when we accept Christ as our savior, the person we once were dies and we are given a new life thanks to the gospel. Like Paul says in Galatians 2
I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. (Galatians 2:20, ESV)If you have accepted Christ, you have been born again and have new life in Christ! The old you is gone, dead, put away... and the new you has come to life!
2. Run YOUR Race Without Fear
It seems like the crew just can't get a break in the show... every where they turn there's problems... they're either running out of gas, dying, being attacked by zombies, psychotic comrades... they're always on the run from something. So as I thought about this more and more, I put myself in the shoes of the characters and thought about how much fear they must have in those situations and how exhausting it must be to just keep running without an end in sight. And then my thoughts led to me think about how blessed I am that I'm not them. I don't have to run without an end in sight... I know what I'm running toward and I know that I don't have to be afraid along the way. The bible talks about not fearing many many many times!
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. (Psalm 23:4, ESV)
The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? (Psalm 27:1, ESV)
Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.” (Deuteronomy 31:6, ESV)
"...fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (Isaiah 41:10, ESV)
Those are just a few of the probably hundreds of verses in the bible about not fearing. But like Rick and his gang, we do need to run. We need to run the race that has been set before us.. straight to our heavenly Father's arms.
Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. (Hebrews 12:1-2, ESV)
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. 25 Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. 26 So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. (1 Corinthians 9:24-26, ESV)If you have been given new life in Christ, there's no need to be afraid! You are free to run the race set before you, keeping your eyes fixed on your Heavenly Father till you cross the finish line and enter the kingdom of heaven.
Ready? Set? Go.
God Bless,
Danielle
No comments:
Post a Comment